[OS X TeX] New alpha Textures with support for graphics

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jul 13 21:31:34 CEST 2006

On Jul 13, 2006, at 1:58 PM, André Bellaïche wrote:

> I just want to make my point clear.
>
>>> Ex. 7. BlueSKy Research would never have introduced a feature
>>> like texdoc in Textures without telling anybody. (Of course,
>>> Texshop (or teTeX) has texdoc, and Textures had not.)
>>
>> Of course they don't have it so why would they tell you about it?
>>
>> Ummm... Gerben did inform us all about texdoc after he set it up
>> in his distribution.
>
> What about all the people who do not receive Gerben's mails ? For
> example, I learned about texdoc by chance, on this forum, and this
> morning, Franck Pastor did not know what texdoc was.
> My point is that :
> 1) Sometimes a commercial software with a complete doc may be useful ;
> 2) TeX gurus are also useful, but it's a hard job. I am the teX
> guru of my wife and several colleagues : all of them do not even
> know the name of Gerben. And they forget it whenever I tell them
> (e. g., find out Gerben Wierda on Google, then download i-
> Installer, etc.) ;
> 3) Many people don't even have a guru.

Howdy,

If you look through the Archive of this list, <http://tug.org/
pipermail/macostex-archives/>, which is noted at the bottom of each
message (or at least somewhere in the digest form I assume) you can
search for all sorts of things that have been discussed previously. I
agree it does take a bit of playing with search terms but it is
amazing what can be found there.

>> I believe texdoc is a standard part of several TeX distributions.
>
> Most people I know (mathematicians) want to know at most one TeX
> distribution.

So do I but my point is that given a distribution on UNIX(like)
systems chances are that textdoc is there in one way or another.
Gerben has configured it so it works nicely under OS X.

>>> ! LaTeX Error: File `./chap001/Fig-01-02' not found.
>>> \includegraphics[scale=0.7]{./chap001/Fig-01-02}}
>>> (The file does exist, of course.)
>
>> I assume you're using latex+distiller processing in TeXShop. Add
>> ``--extradvipsopts "-R0"'' (without the leading `` and trailing ''
>> of course) to the two TeX+dvips+distiller engines in TeXShop-
>> >Preferences->Engine tab.
>
> How could have I guessed all this by myself ? How did you learn
> about it ? (This is the same point as above !)
>
> Thank you Herb for your help,
>
> André Bellaïche

Another case where searching in the archive would have found lots of
information on ``fixing'' this problem. That's what happens when you
are using a fairly new distribution, :-); the default behavior of
dvips has changed and that option restores it. Supposedly this was
done for security reasons.

I hope I'm not coming off angry... I'm in a bit of a snippy mood today.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)