[OS X TeX] New alpha Textures with support for graphics

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Thu Jul 13 18:23:14 CEST 2006

Le 13 juil. 06 à 17:54, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Le 13 juil. 06 à 16:57, André Bellaïche a écrit :
>
>> Le 13 juil. 06 à 16:30, Kevin Walzer a écrit :
>>
>>> Just curious--what does Textures offer that TexShop et. al does
>>> not? I
>>> tried to download a version to try, but apparently you already
>>> need to
>>> be a registered customer. (This company charges $30 just to demo
>>> one of
>>> its other products...)
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> i'll send you more examples when I think about them. This occurs
>> quite frequently, since I work all the day on Texshop after having
>> been very happy with Textures for years.
>
> An atypical example, which just came to mind when browsing through
> old Textures files: Imagine you're using KaleidaGraph for
> processing and plotting experimental data (you'll be surprised at
> the number of my colleagues who still use KaleidaGraph daily, in
> spite of its quasi-absence of development -- other than adaptation
> to OS X -- for several years now). KaleidaGraph doesn't do EPS
> files; however, it does do what it calls "PostScript PICT", namely
> PICT files with EPS code hidden in PICT comment fields. Textures
> being able to include PICT files, it can use these hidden EPS data
> to draw the KaleidaGraph plots when included in TeX documents.
>
> It's possible XeTeX allows this as well, I haven't checked.

Speaking of including graphics files, Textures would never have done
this :

Ex. 5. ! LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: .01.01.
  \includegraphics[scale=0.7]{./chap001/Fig.01.01}}

(Textures did not try to look smart by guessing which is the filename
and which is the extension. In fact, it needed not know (did not need
to know ?) the extension.)

or this :

Ex. 6. ! LaTeX Error: File `./chap001/Fig-01-02' not found.
\includegraphics[scale=0.7]{./chap001/Fig-01-02}}
(The file does exist, of course.)

Ex. 7. BlueSKy Research would never have introduced a feature like
texdoc in Textures without telling anybody. (Of course, Texshop (or
teTeX) has texdoc, and Textures had not.)

André Bellaïche