[OS X TeX] once more: owners, groups and privilegues of texmf.local

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Jan 22 20:27:23 CET 2006

On 22 Jan 2006, at 15:59, Friedrich Vosberg wrote:

> Morning.
>
> Am 22.01.2006 um 11.55 schrieb Gerben Wierda:
>
>> On 21 Jan 2006, at 21:23, Friedrich Vosberg wrote:
>>
>>> Now I consider to change the group of texmf.local and its
>>> subdirectories to admin.
>>
>> That would not help because the directories are not group-writable.
>
> I've changed the privilegues to 775.
>
>>> What would you suggest?
>>
>> You can set the ownership of teTeX in the configure phase of the
>> TeX i-Package. If you own it yourself, you can write and everybody
>> can still read. I think that would be the simplest way.
>
> No. This is not my approach. I want to achieve that *every* admin
> can modify the TeX installation.

The slight problem is that if you do this every admin can do that
without giving a password. I could think of a way of using such a
setup to break into the system and get root status.

>> You can set the ownership of teTeX in the configure phase of the
>> TeX i-Package. If you own it yourself, you can write and everybody
>> can still read. I think that would be the simplest way.
>
> Should I change the permissions of teTeX and subdirectories to 775,
> or causes this further problems?

sudo chmod -R g+w /usr/local/teTeX

but I advise against it. Every user who is a member of the admin
group can use the sudo command (which requires a password) to do what
you want to do.