[OS X TeX] Embedding movies

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at fc.ul.pt
Thu Jan 19 11:19:17 CET 2006

> On 18 Jan 2006, at 03:30 , Simon Spiegel wrote:
>
>> While this gives me the desired result when viewed in Adobe Reader
>> I get strange things in Preview; it does display the poster image,
>> but there is a strange yellow border around the image (like a link,
>> but I haven't defined a link color yellow anywhere) and there is
>> some text visible in the upper left corner of the image. Something
>> about "attachment" but it's not well readable since two texts are
>> on top of each other.
>>

> I don't think what you want to do is possible without creating two
> pdfs.  The embedded video stuff is part of the newer pdf format that,
> to date, only Adobe Acrobat $LATEST supports.
>
> The fact you are getting anything useable at all is a little
> surprising.  I bet Acrobat 5.0 would choke completely on the file,
> for example.

I tested an example on Adobe Reader 6 (although not with an H264
movie) and it essentially worked, with one caveat:

- only got the movie to show with 'autoplay' option (otherwise got a
yellow (unfilled) rectangle with the word "screen" and neither clicking
   nor hitting 'P' would make the movie play)

with autoplay, the movie could be played/paused by hitting 'P', as
the docs said it should, or using the controls.

By the way, I have used embedded movies before (with easymovie.sty)
in Acrobat Reader 5.

Luis Sequeira