[OS X TeX] Re: Automatic Backup in TeXShop

Bastian Philipps bph at gmx.info
Tue Jan 17 23:20:32 CET 2006

Peter Dyballa said the following on 17.1.2006 23:12 Uhr:

> Am 16.01.2006 um 10:09 schrieb Bastian Philipps:
>
>> as described in TeXShop's Help there seems to be a hidden pref, enabling
>> TeXShop so make automatic backups on each LaTeX-Run.
>>
>> I tried 'defaults write TeXShop SaveBackup YES' and after consulting the
>> archives 'defaults write TeXShop KeepBackup YES', but somehow none works.
>>

> What I found by experience is that TeXShop creates a file <name>~.tex,
> which also works on macro files. In the source I could not find a
> statement that would create versioned backup files ...
>
> Could be that the versions come from the fact that every time TeXShop
> saves the TeX source the previous version of the source is saved in the
> backup file? I'm not sure about this behaviour since I did not
> understand completely the C code.

Thanks for the info! I assume the files are created in the same folder

Strange thing is, I am not able to get the whole backup process working.
As mentioned above I tried both versions and even checked the
preferences by using "defaults read TeXshop", but the files are not created.

Any idea, why that might happen?

Greetings
Bastian