[OS X TeX] Russian under utf-8?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jan 14 12:19:52 CET 2006

Am 14.01.2006 um 08:46 schrieb Wolter Rose:

> I was recommended to switch to utf-8 by Allan Odgaard (of TextMate ---

Vladimir Volovich wrote an extension for that. You can find the files
in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/t2 -- I have no
further idea. All this UTF-8 stuff in conventional (La)TeX seems to
be very restrictive. In the LaTeX Companion, second edition, the most
promising statement is that the utf-8 input encoding supports the
codes for glyphs found in the usual TeX fonts, which includes wncyr
and such.

Dominique Unruh's ucs package was going to support the whole Basic
Multilingual Plane (BMP) of Unicode, but it isn't maintained any
more. In /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/doc/latex/ucs you find
some documentation (FAQ, gzip'ed PS files), his site (http://
www.unruh.de/DniQ/latex/unicode/) is still on-line.

Petr Olšák has written encTeX which is now part of pdfTeX in TeX Live
2005 and which has an extension for multibyte encodings (http://
trific.ath.cx/tex-mf/enctex/). Maybe it is of help for you.

Isn't Babel able to support more than one language and encoding? In
order to avoid UTF-8 ...

--
Greetings

   Pete       (: