[OS X TeX] Russian under utf-8?

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Sat Jan 14 11:05:30 CET 2006

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 09:46:57AM +0200, Wolter Rose wrote:
> Reading the discussion on what might be the best encoding, this is
> what I stumbled into this week.
>
> I was recommended to switch to utf-8 by Allan Odgaard (of TextMate ---
> great editor, BTW). However, when I had to typeset a Russian text, my
> settings for Cyrillic were no longer working. This is what I used
> under Western (Mac OS Roman):
>
> \usepackage[T2A,OT1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage[ot2enc]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[russian,english]{babel}
>

> Now for this project I am back to Western (Mac OS Roman).
>
> Does anyone know how I can get this (or any other Russian/Cyrillic)
> working under utf-8? I cann't use XeTeX yet, because I need Hebrew in
> the same text, and do'nt have the time to convert all the Hebrew to
> Unicode.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wolter

I know OT2 only as an output encoding. For utf-8 input you would use
\usepackage[utf8,...]{inputenc}.

I once typeset a Russian fragment in an English text with the wncyr
font family, which has OT2 encoding. I don't claim that this was an
optimal solution, but it worked. Let me know if you need further
information; I still have the files.

--
Siep Kroonenberg