[OS X TeX] Renewcommand footnote

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 15:51:41 CET 2006

Morten Høgholm wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:24:19 +0100, Alain Schremmer
> <Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Morten Høgholm wrote:
>>
>>> \renewcommand\footnote[2][]{} should do it. If not, then you'll
>>> have  to  show us a minimal example.
>>

>> It certainly does. Where do I learn about this? I didn't see it in
>> Companion 2ed.
>

> Are you sure you want to learn about such stuff? ;-)
>
> For this one you can look at what input \footnote usually allows:
>   a) \footnote{some text}
>   b) \footnote[mark]{some text}
> So in the example I made \footnote a macro with one optional and one
> mandatory argument, which it then throws away.

Er, I seeeeeeeeeeee. Well, I can't really see how and why it solved my
problem but solve it it did. So, all things considered, I have changed
my mind and I am now sure I don't want to learn about such stuff: It's a
lot easier to have people on the list solve my problems for me.  :-)

> %%%%%%%%%%%%
> %% DANGER %%
> %%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> Some footnote packages goes to great lengths to allow \verb within a
> footnote and then my quick fix would break down as soon as you took
> advantage of that feature. Then you could do something like
>
>   \makeatletter
>   \renewcommand\footnote[1][]{%
>     \@ifnextchar\bgroup{%
>       \def\@tempa{\egroup\setbox0=\box\voidb at x}%
>       \setbox0\hbox\bgroup
>       \bgroup\aftergroup\@tempa
>       \let\@tempb = }{\@gobble}}%
>   \makeatother

As for this one, it has to be an immense overkill for the kind of stuff
I write.

In any case, once again,
Very grateful regards
--schremmer