[OS X TeX] Renewcommand footnote

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 22:52:25 CET 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:24:19 +0100, Alain Schremmer
<Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com> wrote:

> Morten Høgholm wrote:
>
>> \renewcommand\footnote[2][]{} should do it. If not, then you'll have
>> to  show us a minimal example.
>
> It certainly does. Where do I learn about this? I didn't see it in
> Companion 2ed.

Are you sure you want to learn about such stuff? ;-)

For this one you can look at what input \footnote usually allows:
   a) \footnote{some text}
   b) \footnote[mark]{some text}
So in the example I made \footnote a macro with one optional and one
mandatory argument, which it then throws away.

%%%%%%%%%%%%
%% DANGER %%
%%%%%%%%%%%%

Some footnote packages goes to great lengths to allow \verb within a
footnote and then my quick fix would break down as soon as you took
advantage of that feature. Then you could do something like

   \makeatletter
   \renewcommand\footnote[1][]{%
     \@ifnextchar\bgroup{%
       \def\@tempa{\egroup\setbox0=\box\voidb at x}%