[OS X TeX] Unwanted blank page

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 3 22:08:53 CET 2006

On 3 Jan 2006, at 17:54, Alain Schremmer wrote:

>>> But the little bit that I now know about LaTeX says there has to
>>> be  a way to get a non-standard \include that will not start on a
>>> new  page but I don't know how to do it. This, though, is
>>> precisely what  I need here.
>>
>> \input{file}
>
> Well, yes, it works but, as mentioned before, I would also need,
> occasionally,
>
>    \renewcommand{\input}[1][]{\url}
>
> and, being that \input{file} is a TeX command and cannot be
> renewed, I cannot use it.

Now I understand.

> On the other hand, someone suggested I redefine \include by just
> commenting out \clearpage on the third line (see below) and
> everything seems to work: Chapters continue to start on odd pages
> but included files start right away. Go figure.
>
> The author of the idea, though, wishes to remain anonymous because
> "[s/he is sure that it violates all  sorts of good latex practice
> and [s/he] can live without the resulting  grief."

Don't do that, there are good reasons it is defined like that. Define
a new command instead:

\usepackage{ifthen}
\newboolean{FinalVersionWithExcersises}
% \setboolean{FinalVersionWithExcersises}{true} %% uncomment this
line to actually include the excersises
\newcommand{\includeexcersises}[1]{\ifthenelse{\boolean
{FinalVersionWithExcersises}}{%
	\input{#1}}{%
	{Excersises from file \url{#1} will be included here}}

Maarten