[OS X TeX] Elusive (for me) problem with TeX i-Package configure on Intel

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Tue Feb 21 15:37:45 CET 2006

On Feb 21, 2006, at 8:53 AM, Matthias Damm wrote:

> Am 21.02.2006 um 10:14 schrieb Gerben Wierda:
>
>> This is all true. But the machine came with an install on one huge
>> partition and I am so stressed for time currently, that planning a
>> whole
>> redesign of the machine is out of the question. Unless somebody
>> knows a
>> way to create a small partition with destroying the existing one.
>
> Unfortunately there does not seem to be a risk-free way to do so
> (the solution Eric has mentioned seems to be as much work as
> backing up the partition and setting up the whole machine from
> scratch ...).
>
> But can't you use an external FW drive with a freshly installed OS
> X? AFAICR, Intel Macs are still able to book from FW drives. Or
> don't the developer kits have FW ports?
> (If you don't have a FW drive at hand, maybe we can collect some
> donations from the list and provide you with one? Just an idea ...)

A couple of comments:

(1) iPartition will allow you partition a drive without reformatting
it. See:

     http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php

There are several other apps that do it too, but I have heard good
things about iPartition.

(2) Using SuperDuper!, I can clone my system (a little more than 50GB
total) in a little more than an hour to an external FireWire drive. I
rotate through two different clones as part of my backup strategy.

(3) Intel Macs can even boot from USB2 drives, which are a bit
cheaper than FireWire drives.

I would be happy to contribute to an external drive for Gerben. They
have gotten exceedingly cheap of late -- I just bought a 300GB USB2/
FireWire Maxtor drive at Best Buy for $229. You can count on me for
$30 toward it. Now all we need is 8 or 9 more people. :-)

-- Gary