[OS X TeX] PDF Sync with repeating text

Frank STENGEL fstengel at mac.com
Fri Feb 10 15:53:53 CET 2006

Le 10 févr. 06 à 14:37, Sergei Mariev a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I have recently worked on a document (a restoration report on some
> archeological objects) which contains some text that periodically
> reappears in the document. The document structure was like this:
> Object A - pagebreak - Materials used - pagebreak - Object B -
> pagebreak - Materials used ... etc

<snip>

As a matter of fact, you are using the PDFKit synchronization method.
Using pdfsync.sty, you can get nearer to the problematic parts of the
source.

> Obviously, if it is looking for a string in the source and in the
> PDF and if it finds out that the identical string appears several
> times, it has no way of knowing where to jump to. Am I right in
> supposing that this problem is inherent in the algorithm and
> therefore cannot be solved?

As far as I can tell you are right. Honestly, using both methods
(PDFKit+pdfsync) gives the best results, pdfsync.sty is used as a
fallback if I remember well...
--
Frank STENGEL (fstengel<at>mac.com)