[OS X TeX] PDF Sync with repeating text

Sergei Mariev sergei.mariev at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Feb 10 15:37:04 CET 2006

Hi all,

I have recently worked on a document (a restoration report on some
archeological objects) which contains some text that periodically
reappears in the document. The document structure was like this:
Object A - pagebreak - Materials used - pagebreak - Object B -
pagebreak - Materials used ... etc
The "Materials used" page is nearly identical in some cases and
completely identical in some others throughout the document. PDF Sync
fails on the identical pages. Obviously, if it is looking for a
string in the source and in the PDF and if it finds out that the
identical string appears several times, it has no way of knowing
where to jump to. Am I right in supposing that this problem is
inherent in the algorithm and therefore cannot be solved?

Here is a sample test document to illustrate what I mean. The PDF
Sync fails on the pages with "This is the repeating text."

\documentclass[10pt]{article}
\usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}

\begin{document}

This is page one. And we have some text here.

\pagebreak

This is page two and we have some text here.

\pagebreak
This is the repeating text.

\pagebreak

This is page three and we have some text here.

\pagebreak
This is the repeating text.

\end{document}