[OS X TeX] LaTeX (2005/12/01) Release Beta Test

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Feb 7 23:36:42 CET 2006

Le 7 févr. 06 à 23:19, Morten Høgholm a écrit :

> Since there are so many cutting edge kinda people on this list, I
> thought some of you might enjoy playing with the new beta release
> of LaTeX 2005/12/01. Some of the tools packages have had serious
> updates so we would be more than happy to receive comments on them
> (calc, varioref, and xspace in particular).

 From ltnews17.pdf:

The graphics bundle
The graphics bundle now supports the dvipdfmx
post-processor and Jonathan Kew’s XETEX program. By
support we mean that the graphics packages recognize
the new options xetex and dvipdfmx but we do not
distribute the respective driver files.
This leads elegantly to a description of the new
policy concerning such driver files in the graphics
bundle. Most driver files for our graphics packages are
maintained by the developers of the associated
post-processor or TEX programs. The teams developing
these packages are working very hard: their rapid
development offers a stark contrast to the current
schedule of LATEX releases. It is therefore no longer
practical for the LATEX Team to be responsible for
distributing the latest versions of these driver files.
Therefore the installation files for graphics have been
split: there is now graphics.ins to install the package
files and graphics-drivers.ins for the driver files
(located in drivers.dtx). There is no need to install all
those provided in the file drivers.dtx.
Please also note that, as requested by the maintainers
of PStricks, we have removed the package pstcol as
current versions of PSTricks make it obsolete.

I remember a time, back in the early 90s, when Mac OS and its
specific TeX distributions were barely mentioned and considered in
the various LaTeX docs. Which makes the current situation feel so
much better!