[OS X TeX] Some Encoding & Keyboard Questions

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Feb 3 15:54:58 CET 2006

Howdy,

I'm pretty much and encoding and non-US keyboard ignoramous so I have
the following questions, most concerning the bullet (•) character.

1)Does Opt-8 give a bullet on all keyboard layouts by default? I know
I've set autocomplete up with my TeXShop to expand it to \textbullet
but I want to know the default behavior.

I think I remember reading that TeXShop uses UTF-8 encoding
internally in the Editor and the translation to other encodings is
made when the file is read/written.

2)If I have my default file encoding set to UTF-8 how does TeXShop
know that a certain file is not in UTF-8 when it reads it? If I open
a MacOSRoman (my actual default - just because) file a dialog box
comes up saying it isn't UTF-8 and will be read in as MacOSRoman. Is
there some sort of BOM at the start of a UTF-8 file that
distinguishes it from other (indistinguishable by TeXShop) formats?

3)I sometimes see, from e-mail replies, that the bullet character (•)
I sent looks different in the quoted material than when I sent it.
Sometomes it looks like a small black apple glyph sometimes something
else. Is there some partial translation being made somewhere?

4)Am I correct in assuming that .plist files are always stored as
UTF-8? What about internal strings within the TeXShop binary? Oops
that's two questions.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)