[OS X TeX] New TeX distribution and setup

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Dec 31 17:04:46 CET 2006

On Dec 31, 2006, at 16:18, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Axel E. Retif wrote:
>
>> Andrei,
>>
>> On 31 Dec, 2006, at 02:53, Andrei Sobolevskii wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Axel,

>>> Shouldn't this have been "selfless"?
>>

>> Thank you. This is _really, really_ embarrassing, the worst typo I
>> could make ---I meant to write unselfish, of course.
>>
>> My apologies, especially to Gerben Wierda.
>
> I don't agree. After all, why did Wierda do it? Obviously out of the
> "profit motive" as the currently prevalent idelology would us to have
> it. So,what does that leave? I think Wierda did for "esthetic"
> purposes, that is for the pleasure of doing something well and/or for
> others, and this would have been for his own pleasure, just as with
> any artist or artisan or most engineer or scientist—as opposed to
> people "into power". Think of even illustrious examples. Well, anyway,
> that's the way I see it.

Not quite right, but who am I? ;-)

Actually, it *was* my "volunteer job". I like to help, and that is what
I got out of it. One can call that a profit in purely economical terms,
but that is about as right as saying that our behaviour (including
altruism) is purely darwinistic. True, but meaningless.