[OS X TeX] New TeX distribution and setup

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 16:18:57 CET 2006

Axel E. Retif wrote:

> Andrei,
>
> On 31 Dec, 2006, at 02:53, Andrei Sobolevskii wrote:
>
>> Dear Axel,
>>
>>> In this, the last day of Gerben Wierda's support of his TeX
>>> distributions, I would like to thank him publicly for his excellent
>>> and selfish work along these years, far more professional than any
>>> commercial product I know.
>>>

>> Shouldn't this have been "selfless"?
>

> Thank you. This is _really, really_ embarrassing, the worst typo I
> could make ---I meant to write unselfish, of course.
>
> My apologies, especially to Gerben Wierda.

I don't agree. After all, why did Wierda do it? Obviously out of the
"profit motive" as the currently prevalent idelology would us to have
it. So,what does that leave? I think Wierda did for "esthetic" purposes,
that is for the pleasure of doing something well and/or for others, and
this would have been for his own pleasure, just as with any artist or
artisan or most engineer or scientist—as opposed to people "into power".
Think of even illustrious examples. Well, anyway, that's the way I see it.

Regards
--schremmer