[OS X TeX] Changing the default preview program

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 25 13:27:52 CET 2006

On 25-dec-2006, at 5:22, Thomas Rike wrote:

> The unanswered question still is, "Can TeXShop be changed to use
> PDFView.app for the pdf output?" In particular, can the "Full-
> screen" feature be implemented? The PDFView HomePage says:
>
>  "With the use of PDFSync, you can have PDFView load the document,
> and jump to the corresponding page of the line you are editing in
> your editor. To do it, all you have to do is set up your editor to
> call this script:
> PDFView.app/Contents/MacOS/gotoline.sh %line "%pdffile"

You can call this from a TeXShop macro, if you wish. However, as far
as I can tell there see there is no support for LaTeX files
consisting of multiple source files as only a line number and pdf
file is supplied for syncing and not a tex source-file. I'm sure this
limitation will be lifted later on.

Another problem is the limitation in TeXShop to give the insertion
point only as a character offset, not a line number. Converting
between the two is not pretty, and I'm sure there are unix utilities
to help out here, but I can't seem to find them.

> I wouldn't know how to set up TeXShop to call this script. I
> immediately changed preferences on my Mac so that all .pdf files
> are opened with PDFView.app when I Open them, so I can always leave
> TeXShop and view the file with PDFView.app, but I am not wise
> enough to know if TeXShop can be made to add this "Full-screen"
> feature or not without breaking other features. I have been living
> happily with TeXShop for a couple of years now, so it is not that
> important, but I would add it to the "wish-list" for TeXShop.

TeXShop can be configured as a "viewer only" application, relying on
an external editor. The other way round is not possible at this
moment. If you want that, you're probably better off using a separate
editor (TextWrangler, TextMate, BBEdit all have fine TeX support, or
modules are available to give them fine TeX support). I will update
my scripts to add support for pdfview.

Maarten