[OS X TeX] Script or folder action to invoke epstopdf automatically

Holger Frauenrath mail at frauenrath.com
Sat Dec 23 07:44:57 CET 2006

> Holger Frauenrath wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I hope that this question is slightly more on topic.
>>
>> I would like to save chemical drawings prepared with the
>> commercial program ChemDraw to (cropped) PDF files for inclusion
>> into LaTeX. Printing to PDF from ChemDraw results in uncropped PDF
>> files. However, ChemDraw can save files into EPS files (which can
>> even be re- edited), and epstopdf produces the cropped PDF files
>> without a problem.
>>
>> As I constantly change the ChemDraws (and I have many of them) it
>> would be handy if there was either a script or a folder action
>> etc. which would create the PDF files either per drag-and-drop or,
>> hopefully, even automatically whenever an EPS file in a specified
>> directory is created or updated.

Hello everybody,

well, answering my own email ... just in case anybody else has a
similar problem.

I was pointed to the "Convert PS to PDF" script supplied by Apple
(one of the Folder Action Scripts). After changing some details of
the file processing and attaching it to a folder, it works exactly in
the desired way, also on EPS files (at least the ones I am working
with). Cool.

I guess that changing the pstopdf engine to epstopdf would be better
in many occasions (although I am not really sure). However, when I
tried this, the script failed saying "epstopdf: command not found". I
assume it is a path issue.

Thanks to everybody for the help.
Holger

__
Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich (ETH Zürich)
Department of Materials
Wolfgang-Pauli-Str. 10, HCI H515
CH-8093 Zürich
Switzerland