[OS X TeX] Script or folder action to invoke epstopdf automatically

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 20:16:17 CET 2006

Holger Frauenrath wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I hope that this question is slightly more on topic.
>
> I would like to save chemical drawings prepared with the commercial
> program ChemDraw to (cropped) PDF files for inclusion into LaTeX.
> Printing to PDF from ChemDraw results in uncropped PDF files. However,
> ChemDraw can save files into EPS files (which can even be re- edited),
> and epstopdf produces the cropped PDF files without a problem.
>
> As I constantly change the ChemDraws (and I have many of them) it
> would be handy if there was either a script or a folder action etc.
> which would create the PDF files either per drag-and-drop or,
> hopefully, even automatically whenever an EPS file in a specified
> directory is created or updated.

I am not sure what formats Intaglio can import but it sure can save a
copy as cropped pdf and remember where it put it. So, I have two
folders, one where Intaglio saves the .intaglio for editing and one
where Intaglio automatically saves the cropped .pdf with the same
name—and I do have hundreds of them.

It also has an applescript which does some batchprocessing but I have
never used it. If you want, send me a ChemDraw figure saved in some
reasonably common format(s) and I will try them. Alternatively, you
could try to download their trial version but I don't remember what its
limitations are. You could also email nick at PurgatoryDesign.com—he is
their tech support and both very knowledgeable and very patient. :-)

Hope this helps
--schremmer