[OS X TeX] TeX (TeX Live) i-Package updated (*EXPERIMENTAL i-Directory)

S P Suresh spsuresh at cmi.ac.in
Fri Dec 8 06:34:35 CET 2006

Dear Gerben,

Many thanks for the latest release. I have upgraded, and am testing
things out. Since I was recently obsessing about some non-existing
directories in my PATH variable, I went and looked at /private/etc/
profiles. I found that TeXLive is still there. I guess I can just
remove it from wherever it is mentioned. But is it (possible/not too
painful/advisable) to fix it from your end, in the script that sets
TeX paths?

Cheers,
Suresh

On 08-Dec-06, at 1:56 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> The Dec 7 release contains:
>
> • TL2006REVISION=2572# 2006/12/01 22:00
> • Missing tex4ht support files added to the main texmf tree
> (texmf.texlive)
> • Added doc/latex/{graphics,base} to the main texmf tree
> (texmf.texlive)
> • Support for /Library/TeX/Distributions setup. From now on using /
> usr/texbin for your path to the TeX binaries is stable. The same is
> true for /Library/TeX/Distrbutions/Default/Man for man pages, /
> Library/TeX/Documentation for all the documentation in your
> texmf.trees. Switching between different TeX distribution is easy:
> only the /Library/TeX/Distributions/Default needs to be set to an
> existing .texdist bundle which contains information on the TeX
> distribution and where it resides. See /Library/TeX/TeXDist-
> description.rtf for details.
> • i-Package contains new setloginpath and setmanpath scripts with a
> new interface.
> • Fixed a buglet where changed languages did not force a recompile
> of formats
>
> The short info on the new distributions setup is: use /usr/texbin
> as te PATH for your TeX setup in TeXShop from now on, iTeXMac or
> whatever frontend you use. It points to the active distribution
> used. If you have TeX Live 2005 installed, switch from an installed
> gwTeX to an installed TeX Live 2005 as follows:
>
> sudo rm /Library/TeX/Distributions/Default
> sudo ln -s TeXLive-2005-Relative.texdist /Library/TeX/Distributions/
>
> After this, both comand line and frontend (if it uses /usr/texbin)
> will use TeX Live 2005 (system wide)

> PS. It has taken a while as I experienced a lot of apparent
> instabilities in creating the setup for choosing easily between
> different TeX distributions. It turns out the instability was an OS
> X bug and the problem was specific to the testing procedure used.
> The actual solution was fine all along.
>
> PPS. If you have still outstanding problems and wishes, now is the
> time to mention them (off list, please) to

S P Suresh
Chennai Mathematical Institute
India