[OS X TeX] I'm done with TeXShop as my main editor

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Dec 7 21:50:43 CET 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 2:31 PM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2006, at 3:12 PM, Paul Smyth wrote:
>> I'm finding it a bit annoying the negativity being displayed on
>> this list towards certain pieces of software. First we have
>> Gerhardt castigating i-Installer et. al. Now we have this thread.
>> I use TeXShop and find it eminently suitable for my purposes. Ok,
>> you prefer VI or Vim or whatever. Why tell us about if if not to
>> imply that that there is something difficient about TeXShop. I'm
>> sure the rest of us don't care what software you use. The tone of
>> your subject line alone is quite dismissive of TeXShop. The
>> problem is that with this kind of negativity towards something
>> like TeXShop the guys that write and maintain it will justly feel
>> they are wasting their time and quite possibly give up. We've
>> already had this situation happen once recently on this list. I
>> for one do not want to see that happen.
>
> I agree with the comment about the title of this thread, but I see
> nothing wrong with talking about the other editors available for
> doing TeX on the Mac. Unless I am mistaken, this list is about TeX
> on the mac, not about TeXShop in particular. I feel sometimes, from
> some people's comments, that a lot of people have the impression
> that TeXShop is the only way to do TeX on the Mac. It's an
> excellent editor at what it does, but I do feel it is worth
> mentioning the alternatives every now and then, because there are a
> lot out there and some of them are better suited for some people
> than others. Personally, I have found myself quite at home with
> TextMate, and wouldn't switch to anything else.
>
> So tell us what you love about your editors, but don't bash other
> editors in the process.
>
> I actually fail to see why the OP was using TeXShop in the first
> place, since he obviously was a long time vi user. The original
> email did not, IMO, make it at all clear what the issue was between
> the two systems.
>
>> Paul Smyth
>
> Haris

Howdy,

I think it's time for all of us to calm down. We've got to get just a
bit more thick skinned.

In spite of the possible negative interpretation of the title of this
thread the contents of the original post had nothing negative to say
about TeXShop or any other editor. It was clear that the poster was
very familiar with vi, liked it and was going back to using it on his
Mac; no attacks there.

We are incredibly lucky to have many great editors on the Mac. Some
with *nix heritage, some that go back many years to pre-OS X days,
some that are pure GUI but with deep ties to OS X's BSD
underpinnings, etc. To each his own; we all want to be productive and
have our own personal interpretations of what helps us reach that goal.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)