[OS X TeX] I'm done with TeXShop as my main editor

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Thu Dec 7 21:31:35 CET 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 3:12 PM, Paul Smyth wrote:
> I'm finding it a bit annoying the negativity being displayed on
> this list towards certain pieces of software. First we have
> Gerhardt castigating i-Installer et. al. Now we have this thread. I
> use TeXShop and find it eminently suitable for my purposes. Ok,
> you prefer VI or Vim or whatever. Why tell us about if if not to
> imply that that there is something difficient about TeXShop. I'm
> sure the rest of us don't care what software you use. The tone of
> your subject line alone is quite dismissive of TeXShop. The problem
> is that with this kind of negativity towards something like TeXShop
> the guys that write and maintain it will justly feel they are
> wasting their time and quite possibly give up. We've already had
> this situation happen once recently on this list. I for one do not
> want to see that happen.

I agree with the comment about the title of this thread, but I see
nothing wrong with talking about the other editors available for
doing TeX on the Mac. Unless I am mistaken, this list is about TeX on
the mac, not about TeXShop in particular. I feel sometimes, from some
people's comments, that a lot of people have the impression that
TeXShop is the only way to do TeX on the Mac. It's an excellent
editor at what it does, but I do feel it is worth mentioning the
alternatives every now and then, because there are a lot out there
and some of them are better suited for some people than others.
Personally, I have found myself quite at home with TextMate, and
wouldn't switch to anything else.

So tell us what you love about your editors, but don't bash other
editors in the process.

I actually fail to see why the OP was using TeXShop in the first
place, since he obviously was a long time vi user. The original email
did not, IMO, make it at all clear what the issue was between the two
systems.

> Paul Smyth

Haris