[OS X TeX] OT Microsoft

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 16:16:23 CET 2006

Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On Dec 2, 2006, at 09:25 , Simon Spiegel wrote:
>
>> I don't completely agree. Of course, Word is dominating, but there
>> definitely is a market for alternatives. I'm in humanities and
>> people regularly ask me what they should use for their theses
>> because they're fed up with Word. Depending on their needs and
>> skills I recommend either Mellel or LaTeX. So far, none of them has
>> regretted the switch. The problem is really one of education/
>> knowledge. People simply don't know that (better?) alternatives
>> exist. Actually, I'm slightly optimistic that using alternative wps
>> will be easier in the feature. With MS's move towards a semi-open
>> XML-based file format, one of the main reasons for using Word is –
>> at least potentially – gone.
>

> Microsoft has used the de facto Windows 3.11 standard to stablish the
> proprietary .doc/etc standard
> Microsoft is using the de facto .doc/etc standard to establish
> proprietary workgroup/etc standards (Active Directory, Exchange,
> SharePoint)
>
> Lawmakers are miles behind Microsoft on this one. They were
> discussing Windows when Microsoft was using Office to build/extend
> the monopoly. Now they might discuss Open Doc standards while
> Microsoft is establishing a framework from which it will be even more
> difficult to escape.
>
> Note: I am neutral about all these platforms. I just have noticed
> over the years that Microsoft has been very good at thinking ahead
> and executing these stratgies.

I agree: the de facto monopoly/hegemony is THE issue. That MS has been a
bit graceless in achieving its goal is not what matters: even if Word
were perfect (no pun), even if there were a perfect, universal LaTeX but
controlled by XX.corp, it would be just as bad. Compared to the fact
that something so major is privately controlled, everything else is of
practically no importance.

By the way, I am under the impression that MS is moving onto MathML. Can
anyone confirm?

Regards
--schremmer