[OS X TeX] OT Microsoft

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Dec 2 09:35:24 CET 2006

On Dec 2, 2006, at 09:25 , Simon Spiegel wrote:

> I don't completely agree. Of course, Word is dominating, but there
> definitely is a market for alternatives. I'm in humanities and
> people regularly ask me what they should use for their theses
> because they're fed up with Word. Depending on their needs and
> skills I recommend either Mellel or LaTeX. So far, none of them has
> regretted the switch. The problem is really one of education/
> knowledge. People simply don't know that (better?) alternatives
> exist. Actually, I'm slightly optimistic that using alternative wps
> will be easier in the feature. With MS's move towards a semi-open
> XML-based file format, one of the main reasons for using Word is –
> at least potentially – gone.

Microsoft has used the de facto Windows 3.11 standard to stablish the
proprietary .doc/etc standard
Microsoft is using the de facto .doc/etc standard to establish
proprietary workgroup/etc standards (Active Directory, Exchange,
SharePoint)

Lawmakers are miles behind Microsoft on this one. They were
discussing Windows when Microsoft was using Office to build/extend
the monopoly. Now they might discuss Open Doc standards while
Microsoft is establishing a framework from which it will be even more
difficult to escape.

Note: I am neutral about all these platforms. I just have noticed
over the years that Microsoft has been very good at thinking ahead
and executing these stratgies.