[OS X TeX] Tables more than one page wide

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Sat Dec 2 03:19:58 CET 2006

Hi,

I have to construct a table that will be much wider than on page. At
least 2 pages, possibly 3 (considering I'll need to repeat the
leftmost column on all pages).

I have seen in the LaTeX Companion that at least two pages help
making tables more than one page high (supertabular, longtable), but
nothing about tables that would be wider than one page.

Is there a way to just prepare one table and have LaTeX spread it
over two or more pages, or am I better to try to decide manually how
to split it, and make several table out of my big table?

In the latter case, especially if it is only two pages wide, I can
think of two things I could do with the part on the second table:
have no table legend (since it would be quite visible that it is a
continuation of what is on the previous page) or (probably wiser) a
Table caption saying it is a continuation of Table X. How do I tell
LaTeX not to increment the Table number? Say the first page of the
table says:

Table 3  This is a very wide table

on the second page I'd need

Table 3 (cont.)