additional texmf tree for all users (was Re: [OS X TeX] Beginner help with TeXshop/MacTex needed)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Aug 28 17:11:13 CEST 2006

> Le 28 août 06 à 13:48, William Adams a écrit :
>> 2. /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex is the Mac OS X tree, this is
>> maintained
>> and distributed by me. This tree corresponds to the TeX Foundation
>> i-packages.
>>
>> 3. /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local is the local texmf tree, this is
>> maintained by the local TeX administrator. It is also the VARTEXMF
>> tree that
>> is handled in a special way by texconfig, e.g. formats and changes
>> are stored
>> here. A package like CM-Super installs here by default so it will
>> survive a
>> reinstall/upgrade of either TeX Programs or TeX Foundation i-packages.
>
> it seems texmf.gwtex and texmf.local share essentially the same
> purpose: they are both maintained by Gerben and his software i-
> Installer

Not quite. It is best to liken texmf.local to /usr/local. /usr/local is
not maintained by me, it is a location where some packages will install
(some even install in / and that is *definitely* not maintained by me ;-).
i-Installer is not like Fink in that is does not maintain its own complete
set in its own area.

texmf.local is what it is: the local TeX administrator's place.
texmf.local is maintained by the local admin and he can use some
i-Packages to do so.

texmf.gwtex is maintained by me and it contains the TeX stuff that is not
in teTeX but that I want to be part of the normal available set.

The difference between the two is that texmf.gwtex is erased before
(re)installation by the TeX i-Package, while texmf.local is not.