[OS X TeX] Beginner help with TeXshop/MacTex needed

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Aug 25 15:55:05 CEST 2006

Le 25 août 06 à 15:19, Rowland McDonnell a écrit :

>> On Aug 25, 2006, at 5:01 AM, Rowland McDonnell wrote:
>>
>> Read README.howtexfindsfiles.txt available in:
>>
>> /local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex (there's a link to teTeX in /Library)
>
> Aha!  Great - thanks.  Okay, so that file tells me what file the
> settings are made in - I need to edit
> </usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf>

Not really. All you have yo do is put your additions in the local
system-wide texmf tree at /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/, then
run "sudo texhash" in Terminal.

> Is there some documentation which explains the syntax of the
> entries in
> the file, and how teTeX interprets them?  (README.howtexfindsfiles.txt
> doesn't actually explain any of that) - I've had a look in
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
>
> and it doesn't explain these issues; it does make reference to a file
> README.gwtex, but there doesn't seem to be such a file installed
> anywhere (visible or invisible).  If there is, Spotlight can't find
> it.

The file you're looking for is /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/
README.texmf.gwtex.

>> Get Philipp Lehman's nifty Type 1 Font Installation Guide:
>>
>> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/Type1fonts/
>> fontinstallationguide/
>> fontinstallationguide.pdf
>
> Righto - thanks.  Umm.  I've not read it all the way through yet -
> does
> it explain where I need to put the files for them to be recognised,
> and
> what config files need editing and how?  The point is that I've got
> working (with CMacTeX's pdfTeX) setups for many additional founts
> and it
> strikes me that I should be able to `just copy over the required
> files'
> if only I could figure out where to put 'em.

You need to put the files in the appropriate subdirectories of /usr/
local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/:

- .afm files in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/afm/
- .map files in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/
- .tfm files in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/tfm/
- .pfb files in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/type1/
- .vf files in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/vf/
- .sty and .fd files in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex/

The idea is "just duplicate the structure found in /usr/local/teTeX/
share/texmf.tetex/".

Then update the font mapping info for dvips, pdftex and dvipdfm in /
usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
etc., so that knowledge of the new fonts is added. For this, *never*
edit the files psfonts.map etc. yourself. Instead, use updmap-sys
which will take care of modifying all the files psfonts.map etc. for
dvips, pdftex and dvipdfm, with the appropriate syntax for each file
and all in one go.

How to do this? When installing an additional font you should have
put a map file, myfont.map say, inside usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.local/fonts/map/. Then run:

	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map myfont.map

Bruno Voisin