[OS X TeX] Beginner help with TeXshop/MacTex needed

Rowland McDonnell rjmm-lists1 at fireflyuk.net
Fri Aug 25 15:19:19 CEST 2006

> On Aug 25, 2006, at 5:01 AM, Rowland McDonnell wrote:
>
> > Firstly, how do I tell TeX where to look for TeX input files?  I
> > need to
> > be able to add a directory tree to the list - I need to have system-
> > wide
> > TeX inputs available, not just on a user by user basis.
>
> Read README.howtexfindsfiles.txt available in:
>
> /local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex (there's a link to teTeX in /Library)

Aha!  Great - thanks.  Okay, so that file tells me what file the
settings are made in - I need to edit
</usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf>

Is there some documentation which explains the syntax of the entries in
the file, and how teTeX interprets them?  (README.howtexfindsfiles.txt
doesn't actually explain any of that) - I've had a look in

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

and it doesn't explain these issues; it does make reference to a file
README.gwtex, but there doesn't seem to be such a file installed
anywhere (visible or invisible).  If there is, Spotlight can't find it.

> > (I need to add some PS T1 founts with their support files at some
> > point
> > too - any hints?)
>
> Get Philipp Lehman's nifty Type 1 Font Installation Guide:
>
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/Type1fonts/fontinstallationguide/
> fontinstallationguide.pdf

Righto - thanks.  Umm.  I've not read it all the way through yet - does
it explain where I need to put the files for them to be recognised, and
what config files need editing and how?  The point is that I've got
working (with CMacTeX's pdfTeX) setups for many additional founts and it
strikes me that I should be able to `just copy over the required files'
if only I could figure out where to put 'em.

Is that covered?  If not, I need a different document :-/

> Works just like Unix,

(thanks for the tip - but I've never been a Unix sysadmin, so I need to
learn everything from scratch)

> or you could use XeTeX which has become
> amazingly mature:
>
> http://scripts.sil.org/xetex

Well, perhaps - but I'd have to learn an entirely new way of working,
wouldn't I?  And re-work my fount installations, running into backwards
compatibility problems?

> > Secondly, I don't suppose if anyone knows if there's anything like
> > a manual for TeXShop?  Preferably something that I can print on
> > paper and read in the traditional way?
>
> There've been a number of articles in TUGboat on it.

Okay - are any of them available on-line?  I don't have a subscription
to TUGboat.

> Creating a .pdf of the on-line Apple Help would be kinda nice though.

Oh yes.

Cheers,
Rowland.