[OS X TeX] pdflatex fails...'kpathsea: Running mktexfmt pdflatex.fmt'

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Thu Aug 17 16:16:03 CEST 2006

> Hello.  Thanks for all the help, you all gave very good advice.  It
> turns out that Gerben Wierda's suggestion to check "which pdflatex"
> revealed that I had a pdflatex binary in my ~/bin/ folder.  Getting
> rid of that seemed to solve things.
>
> I'm in the process of restoring my machine, and I preserved some
> older things in my home folder that are now conflicting, I suppose.

You now also have stuff in your personal TeX texmf tree ~/Library/texmf
which will prevent you from using system-wide stuff, which can be nasty if
the system-wide stuff is updated and you start to wonder why you still get
the old stuff.

Run the configure stage of the TeX i-Package. It will detect these and
offer to remove them for you.