[OS X TeX] Illustrator cannot use partial sets of TeX fonts

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Wed Aug 9 23:43:38 CEST 2006

Le 9 août 06 à 22:33, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> [...]
>> PDF output. The source was:
>>
>> =======================
>> % ESSAI. tex
>> \documentclass{book}
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage{lmodern}
>> \usepackage[frenchb]{babel}
>> \usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
>>
>> \begin{document}
>> P. 18
>>
>> $a$  $a + k\bigl(\frac{b-a}n\bigr)$  $b$
>> \end{document}
>> =======================
>>
>> Everything should be Latin Modern, don't you think?
>>
>> What's wrong ?
>
> I don't know, either. It looks like someone or something is
> cheating. Please look into the LOG file! I got from your example in
> my LOG (an excerpt):
>
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lm/t1lmr.fd) [1{/
> Users/pete/Libra
> ry/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] (./AB-Test.aux) )</
> usr/local/teTe
> X/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmsy7.pfb></usr/local/
> teTeX/share/te
> xmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmmi7.pfb></usr/local/teTeX/share/
> texmf.tetex/
> fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmex10.pfb></usr/local/teTeX/share/
> texmf.tetex/fonts/typ
> e1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb></usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/
> type1/bluesky
> /cm/cmmi10.pfb>{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/enc/dvips/
> lm/lm-ec.enc
> }</usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/public/lm/lmr10.pfb>
>
> So at least one LM font is used – most probably for the sparse
> text! It looks as if LM does not substitute CM in math mode, yet.
> The use of particular fonts is hardcoded into the STY files, so
> it's hard to substitute them.
>
> André, can you check that the pdftex.map used for your test file
> really contains '<<' in front of all CM font files? The same needs
> to be true for LM. Again, 'updmap --listmaps' (sudo -h updmap-sys --
> listmaps) should list which MAP file fragments updmap knows and
> which are used to create the MAP files: those without leading '#'
> before their names. The LM MAP file fragments all have 'lm' in
> their names.
>

> Wouldn't it be easier to throw away this five letter word software?
> The *bad* thing is that you need to make your enhanced versions of
> the MAP file fragments so tough that they survive a TeX update! So
> you can create private copies of them for your own private use, or
> you set up a new system-wide complete.map MAP file fragment, delete
> all the other MAP file fragments from updmap's list that are
> included in complete.map and enable your complete.map as successor
> of the deleted (in reality: commented) default 'scrap.'
>

> BTW, I think in the recent TeX update (15 MB in tar.gz format) a
> faulty version of updmap was included: it does not find nor create
> files in the private area. (I am working on the bug that I found

Thank you, Pete. I need some time to figure all this out and look
into the files. The only thing I can add for the present time is that
I cannot properly reinstall TeX. When I choose "Install and
configure" from i-installer, I get the following message:

==================

Remote package is more recent

The remote package is newer. Press Cancel to cancel the current
action (updating is currently not possible: read-only package, locked
package or network access turned off) or press Ignore to try to go
ahead anyway (not recommended). Note that the current Ignore action
only pertains to the availability of files for the selector phase. It
is only after the selection has been made that i-Installer knows what
is actually needed for an install.

If after the selection of what to install it turns out that all
necessary files are available, installation will commence. If not,
the Install will be aborted.

--Ignore--   --Cancel--
==================

Since network access is on, and all the authorizations (property
rights) have been repaired, I have decided to choose  "Ignore", and
all the installation seemed to work well. The only clue that
something is not working is that if I try another installation, I
still get the same Ignore/Cancel error message.

As for the log files, they seem to be quite identical in your system
and mine:

> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lm/t1lmr.fd)
> [1{/Users/pete/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]
> (./AB-Test.aux) )
> </usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmsy7.pfb>
> </usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmmi7.pfb>
> </usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmex10.pfb>
> </usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb>
> </usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmmi10.pfb>
> {/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/enc/dvips/lm/lm-ec.enc}
> </usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/public/lm/lmr10.pfb>

(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lm/t1lmr.fd
File: t1lmr.fd 2005/08/29 v1.2 Font defs for Latin Modern)
[1{/Users/andre/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] (./
ESSAI.aux) )
</usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmsy7.pfb>
</usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmmi7.pfb>
</usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmex10.pfb>
</usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb>
</usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmmi10.pfb>
{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/enc/dvips/lm/lm-ec.enc}
</usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/public/lm/lmr10.pfb>

Best regards,