[OS X TeX] dvipng1-8 and SAGE

Thomas Rike tricycle222 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 8 00:35:29 CEST 2006

I have been trying to install dvipng1-8 so that I can view latex in
SAGE:(Software for Algebra and Geometry Experimentation at http://
modular.math.washington.edu/sage/) . I am using a MacBookPro with
MacTeX  and TeXShop installed. The sage-1.3.6 directory is in my home
directory.  When I try to configure and install  dvipng1-8,  I get
the following error:

checking for kpse_set_progname in -lkpathsea... no
configure: error: cannot find/use libkpathsea
Error configuring gd.

Looking for kpathesea in the terminal I see:

Thomas-Rikes-Computer:~ trike$ locate libkpathsea
/usr/local/teTeX/lib/libkpathsea.a
/usr/local/teTeX/lib/libkpathsea.la

Thomas-Rikes-Computer:~ trike$ file /usr/local/teTeX/lib/libkpathsea.a
/usr/local/teTeX/lib/libkpathsea.a: current ar archive

Is this what I should have there?

Thomas-Rikes-Computer:~ trike$ locate kpathsea
/Library/Documentation/Help/TeX Catalogue Online.help/Contents/
Resources/English.lproj/entries/kpathsea.html
/usr/local/teTeX/include/kpathsea
/usr/local/teTeX/include/kpathsea/absolute.h
/usr/local/teTeX/include/kpathsea/c-auto.h

snip -----------

/usr/local/teTeX/include/kpathsea/xopendir.h
/usr/local/teTeX/include/kpathsea/xstat.h
/usr/local/teTeX/info/kpathsea.info
/usr/local/teTeX/lib/libkpathsea.a
/usr/local/teTeX/lib/libkpathsea.la
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/help/Catalogue/entries/
kpathsea.html
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/programs/kpathsea.dvi
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/programs/kpathsea.pdf

I have tried configuring (after reading the INSTALL document in the
dvipng1-8 directory) using

Thomas-Rikes-Computer:~/sage-1.3.6/spkg/build/dvipng-1.8 trike$ ./
configure LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/teTeX/lib'CPPFLAGS='-I/usr/local/
teTeX/include/kpathsea'

and various other combinations but to no avail. If you see a way to
set these paths, please let me know. I do not really know what I am
doing in the terminal. I usually just follow recipes. Any help would
be appreciated. Thanks.

Tom Rike