[OS X TeX] TexShop engines make me crazy

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Aug 7 10:46:45 CEST 2006

Am 07.08.2006 um 06:12 schrieb Matthieu Masquelet:

>> \usepackage{ifpdf}
>> \ifpdf
>>   \usepackage{epstopdf}
>>   \usepackage{pdfsync}
>> \fi
>>

> Sorry I don't understand... What you say works because I guess I
> have an EPS version of almost every figure along with a PDF and/or
> a PNG version. But it crashes for a figure where I only have a png
> version...

Could be because you are actually *not* using pdfTeX – check your log
files! Usually they don't lie.

> What I'm trying to do here is using exactly the same typesetting in
> my engine that when I use the automatic latex typesetting with
> pdftex using the TexShop interface. Is that possible? If so how can
> I do this?

It is of course not that bad to have only the one choice ...

Morten's five lines offer some more flexibility. First an extra
package, ifpdf, is loaded that detects whether you are really running
pdf(La)TeX – and whether DVI or PDF output format is chosen. If the
latter is true it first loads the epstopdf, then the pdfsync package.
It can load more packages like cmap, make use of TrueType fonts ... or

	\usepackage[activate={true,nocompatibility}]{microtype}

which does not work with DVI output. Here you could

	\usepackage[protrusion=true,expansion=false]{microtype}

ifpdf enters the DVI output case after a \else. This case is also
true when you run non-pdf(La)TeX, simpdftex for example.

You can use two different engine files. The first one may use 'latex -
output-format=dvi' to produce definitely DVI, the other engine may
have 'pdflatex -output-format=pdf' to produce definitely PDF.

Simpdftex is a shell script that *imitates* a little bit of the
behaviour of pdf(La)TeX by adding calls to DVI to PS and PS to PDF
convertors to the simple (La)TeX run.

What do you mean with "automatic latex typesetting?" The header lines
in your source?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Increase the size of your bike by at least *five* inches!