[OS X TeX] TexShop engines make me crazy

Matthieu Masquelet matthieu.masquelet at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 06:12:22 CEST 2006

On Aug 6, 2006, at 5:10 PM, Morten Høgholm wrote:

> TeXShop usually calls pdfLaTeX when you press LaTeX. Look for the
> checkmark near the bottom of the Typeset menu.

If you mean pdfTex yes that's what I am using for typesetting...

>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/epsfig.sty
>
> Here you load the long obsolete epsfig package.

Coming from the unix environment, all my latex documents used to have
eps
figures... I have moved to png and pdf now but I guess I haven't
removed the calls to epsfig because here and there I have some EPS
stuff around... Could this cause a problem?

>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/graphicx.sty
>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/keyval.sty)
>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/graphics.sty
>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/trig.sty)
>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/graphics.cfg)
>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/dvips.def))))
>
> The dvips driver is loaded.
>
>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/graphics/lscape.sty)
>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/oberdiek/epstopdf.sty
>>
>> Package epstopdf Warning: Graphics driver file `pdftex.def' not
>> loaded.
>
> epstopdf correctly discovers that you have not loaded the pdftex
> graphics driver and so will probably not work.
>
> You are running regular LaTeX on the file but request pdf-only
> packages such as epstopdf and pdfsync. Load the ifpdf package and
> then load these packages conditionally as
>
> \usepackage{ifpdf}
> \ifpdf
>   \usepackage{epstopdf}
>   \usepackage{pdfsync}
> \fi

Sorry I don't understand... What you say works because I guess I have
an EPS version of almost every figure along with a PDF and/or a PNG
version. But it crashes for a figure where I only have a png
version... What I'm trying to do here is using exactly the same
typesetting in my engine that when I use the automatic latex
typesetting with pdftex using the TexShop interface. Is that
possible? If so how can I do this?

Thanks a lot for your quick answer !

Matthieu