[OS X TeX] Changing Tex parameters (retry)

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 13 22:04:27 CEST 2006

On 13 Apr 2006, at 16:40, Christoph Schiller wrote:

> (3) to do
>  sudo -H fmtutil-sys --all  (this does the redumping)
> Result: no effect.
>
> (4) to ask gerben wierda, to post on comp.text.tex
> Result: no new options

I tried to enlarge: no change in the log file. Then I tried to make
the parameter *smaller*. That did change the value printed in the log-
file. Apparently this is one of the parameters that is already at its
largest value.

> None of this changes the "words of font info" in the log file.
> It might be that I make a stupid mistake, but I cannot find it.

Neither do I see obvious mistakes. There are more parameters where
you hit other limits that can not be surpassed from the configuration
files.

> I want to typeset the new version of my free physics text,
> to be made available as soon as possible, but I am stuck.
> ( see www.motionmountain.net )
> I cannot do it, because the "words of font info" are
> stuck at 2 000 000, which is not enough.

The parameter is described as:
% Words of font info for TeX (total size of all TFM files,
approximately).

Perhaps if you disable fonts that you do not use, the thing will fit.
How large are the tfm files for all the fonts that you do need?
(assuming only Minion). What fonts are loaded at the point where it
gives up. I think there are options for not loading computer modern,
or perhaps you can change the order of loading to limit the number of
fonts (\itshape\bfseries\large loads three fonts, \large\bfseries
\itshape two extra fonts to arrive at the same result).

> Can anybody help? Thanks in advance!

I hope this is a starting point, other have better ideas, no doubt.

Maarten