[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #1507 - 09/27/05

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Sep 30 17:59:38 CEST 2005

Am 30.09.2005 um 17:39 schrieb George Nurser:

> 1. which is the recommended distribution?

Depends on your taste: either stable or unstable and *EXPERIMENTAL*. If
you do not fear that some teTeX 2003 files might not compile or look
different with teTeX 3, then take the newest release. Otherwise take an
old one, make/keep if fat on disk -- support for old TeX releases will
be dropped, could be the i-Packages might vanish too from the net.

> 2. Do I need to uninstall the old one first?

No! The whole /usr/local/teTeX tree is deleted, except
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local, your local additions. There are
also new versions of i-Installer available.

> --if so, I have a problem: e.g. texbinaries doesn't seem to be on the
> website anymore

The packages have changed. If you install an available TeX i-Package
i-Installer will learn that texbinaries is not needed any more. Could
be you'll find that you need some extra i-Packages.

--
Greetings

   Pete

We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves
than by those which have occurred to others.
(Blaise Pascal)