[OS X TeX] TeXShop & dvi files

Morten Poulsen morten at math.ku.dk
Thu Sep 22 15:11:13 CEST 2005

>> Previously TeXShop relied, for the DVI -> PDF conversion, on the
>> scripts altpdftex and/or alpdftex, versions of which were included
>> in the application bundle:
>>
>> /Applications/TeXShop.app/Contents/Resources/altpdflatex
>> /Applicationsop/TeXShop.app/Contents/Resources/altpdflatexc.bxx
>> /Applicationsn/Desktop/TeXShop.app/Contents/Resources/altpdftex
>>
>> I'm not quite sure which of the bundled altpdflatex, or of the
>> script altpdflatexc.bxx setting the paths to /usr/local/teTeX/bin/
>> powerpc-apple-darwin-current and /usr/local/bin then calling
>> altpdflatex there, was used.
>>
>> In any case, now the scripts altpdflatex and altpdftex have been
>> deprecated and have been made aliases to /usr/local/teTeX/bin/
>> powerpc-apple-darwin-current/simpdftex, which is the script
>> TeXShop is now using (as specified in its Engine Prefs). And it
>> seems TeXShop includes no bundled simpdftex.
>>
>> I suspect your problem comes from there: not having this script in
>> your build of teTeX.
>>

> True, I do not have the simpdftex script. But I'm a little
> confused: There is no reference to simpdftex
> in the engine preferences in my version of TeXShop (2.03).
> Furthermore, the altpdf* scripts in
> /Applications/TeXShop.app/Contents/Resources/ are indeed scripts,
> not aliases to simpdftex.

The problem was that the altpdf* scripts was not in /usr/local/teTeX/
bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current.
Making links to the scripts in /Applications/TeXShop.app/Contents/
Resources solved my problem.

Thanks Bruno for telling me that the altpdf* scripts are in charge of
the dvi to pdf conversion.

Now I can fully enjoy my own teTeX build.

/Morten