[OS X TeX] OT: Pages format definitions

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Sep 17 08:22:16 CEST 2005

Le 13 sept. 05 à 18:40, Simon Spiegel a écrit :

> I realize that this very OT, but I'm sure some people here are
> interested in this: Apple has published Pages XML schemas http://
> developer.apple.com/documentation/AppleApplications/Conceptual/
> iWork2-0_XML/index.html

I had another look at that document. Stopped after reading this:

> This document explains, at a basic level, how each XML schema works
> and offers some examples of common usage. You might find this
> information valuable if you need to create, modify, or query
> Keynote or Pages XML documents. If you simply need to parse XML and
> extract information from an existing source of XML, you may need to
> look elsewhere for examples that are more suited to your needs.
>
> [...]
> This document does not describe the complete XML schema for either
> Pages 1.x or Keynote 2.x. The complete XML schema for both
> applications is not available and will not be made public. Nor is
> this document, by any stretch of the imagination, intended as a
> comprehensive tutorial on how to customize or extend third-party
> applications that rely on the schemas of each iWork application.
> The focus here is on bringing developers up to date on how the
> schemas work, and what they may need to know in order to take
> advantage of the robust feature sets available in each application.
>
> Important:  This document only covers the file formats for Keynote
> 2.x and Pages 1.x. Future versions of those products may use a
> different file format than the ones described here. Developers
> should understand that Apple cannot guarantee that the file formats
> described herein will be supported in those future versions of the
> iWork applications as they are currently supported. Changes to
> these file formats ought to be expected.

And in particular the sentence at the beginning of the second
paragraph "The complete XML schema for both applications is not
available and will not be made public".

There are times when the only difference between MS and Apple seems
to be a matter of market share, and when I consider switching to one
brand of Linux...