[OS X TeX] Re: Switching from dvips+gs to pdftex

Luis Sequeira lsequeir at fc.ul.pt
Fri Sep 9 16:10:11 CEST 2005

>Hi all,
>
>I'm thinking of switching from dvips+gs to pdftex. Doing the switch in
>TeXShop is easy, but I have lots of tex files with included eps
>figures, using the \epsfbox command from epsf.sty as the inclusion
>mechanism.  Fortunately, this is all in my own personalized style file
>for figures, so I only need to change things in one place. My questions
>are: (a) what's the best package for including figures in pdftex? and
>(b) Is there a way to get TeX to do the conversion of legacy eps files
>on the fly?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chris Goedde

Like a previous poster has said, it is better to handle (b) at shell level.
To convert all eps files below a given directory, you may do the following:
1) Open Terminal and cd to the appropriate directory
2) type the following command:
         find . -name '*.eps' -exec epstopdf {} \;

This all find all files under the current directory (and all its
subdirectories) whose name ends in .eps and, for each one, execute
the command epstopdf with the file name as its argument (that's what
{} stands for). The \; must be typed, to signal the end of the
command following -exec (the semicolon must be escaped to prevent the
shell from interpreting it; that's the same reason why we use the
single quotes in '*.eps').

Luis Sequeira
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>