[OS X TeX] OS X TeX newbie needs help installing TeX on non-boot volume

Rowland McDonnell rjmm-lists1 at fireflyuk.net
Mon Sep 12 15:24:30 CEST 2005

> Am 12.09.2005 um 01:23 schrieb Rowland McDonnell:
>
> > I expect I'm annoying a lot of people.
>
> Good point!

(Sorry.  I'm an irritable sort of chap and I really must do better at
not letting the irritation out in public.)

> > I really just want to deal with the questions I've put
>
> What were your questions?

1) How do I install i-installer stuff somewhere other than standard?

(got some help with this - I'll be `doing things' before I ask more, I
suspect)

2)  (updated query in light of latest info):

Should I leave the `install location' setting in i-installer at
/usr/local even when I've made that soft link to `my preferred install
location'?

3)  How do I download i-installer packages without i-installer?
(got that)

> And for which answers are you still waiting?
> When we'd know what you like to read we might become enabled to act
> political ...

Well, I think I'm doing okay with the answers so far.  I think I'll be
asking some more technical questions about the `games to be played' to
get i-installer stuff working in the non-standard place.

But...  I do like the basic suggestion, because if I understand things
properly, it allows *everything* that wants to be in /usr/local to be
installed in my preferred location and also to work.  There might well
be caveats - well, if I can understand all of them, I'll be able to deal
with 'em and that'll be good.

Cheers,
Rowland.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>