[OS X TeX] OS X TeX newbie needs help installing TeX on non-boot volume

Rowland McDonnell rjmm-lists1 at fireflyuk.net
Sun Sep 11 23:19:23 CEST 2005

[snip]

> Hmm ,  this triggers me. Looking back in my email archive I notice
> that we had quit a bit of communication on i-Installer and the TeX
> i-Package in May. I tried to help you then as well as I could, but I
> was unable to.

I rather felt that you were refusing to help, rather than unable to
help.

Certainly you have managed to help me today with your posts to this
mailing list.  Maybe the knowledge that your words are being read by
people other than me has changed your attitude?

Whatever the reason, you have *NOW* become quite incredibly helpful to
me.  I wish you'd been that helpful back in May, but you chose not to
be.

> I think this is roughly the second time in four years
> that I had to give up helping someone. I tried finding someone else
> to help him, but I was unable to find a volunteer.
>
> I generally find critical remarks very helpful for me to find points
> of improvements, and most improvements have come from critical
> remarks by users, so I do not recognize myself in Rowland's comments
> above nor do I think they are factual.

<shrug>  It's what happened.  Maybe you don't recognise yourself - well,
some people do have difficulty spotting their own flaws, but this really
isn't the place to engage in personal remarks of any sort at all.

I really don't like this sort of bickering and I'd like it to stop.
Can't we stick to technical issues rather than bringing personal stuff
into it, please?

> Around the end of May I did
> try to explain that certain software at the unix level is not
> relocatable after it has been compiled (e.g. ghostscript) and some is
> (e.g. TeX). There is no "my way" involved, here, I just redistribute
> stuff, not invent it.

Umm.  What you did was tell me that I didn't want to do it the way I
wanted to do it, that the standard install locations were the best
places to use, and you wouldn't give me any information to help me
relocate anything.

That is in fact your way of doing things.

[snip]

Rowland.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>