[OS X TeX] OS X TeX newbie needs help installing TeX on non-boot volume

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Sep 11 15:52:17 CEST 2005

On Sep 11, 2005, at 14:59, Rowland McDonnell wrote:

>> <snip>
>>
>> You are in better hands than I now...
>
> Mmm.  Not sure of that at all.  I've managed to glean a little
> information - Gerben has (finally!) told me a little bit about using
> i-installer to install in non-standard locations.  He's been reluctant
> to tell me anything at all before now (what it's added up to so far is
> that he thinks I don't want to do it my way, I ought to want to do it
> his way, everything is better if you do it his way, there is no sanity
> in doing it my way so I mustn't do it my way, and I'm stupid because I
> can't use his software which is easy to use because he knows it's easy
> to use...  Frustrating and annoying rather than helpful, but there you
> go: this is the brave new world of exclusion that we live in.)

Hmm ,  this triggers me. Looking back in my email archive I notice that
we had quit a bit of communication on i-Installer and the TeX i-Package
in May. I tried to help you then as well as I could, but I was unable
to. I think this is roughly the second time in four years that I had to
give up helping someone. I tried finding someone else to help him, but
I was unable to find a volunteer.

I generally find critical remarks very helpful for me to find points of
improvements, and most improvements have come from critical remarks by
users, so I do not recognize myself in Rowland's comments above nor do
I think they are factual. Around the end of May I did try to explain
that certain software at the unix level is not relocatable after it has
been compiled (e.g. ghostscript) and some is (e.g. TeX). There is no
"my way" involved, here, I just redistribute stuff, not invent it.

Maybe some volunteer wants to try to help Rowland now? If you do, and
only with Rowland's permission of course, I can send our private
communication off list to the volunteer so you know what has already
been tried.

For me, having recognized the person I tried to help earlier and
knowing I was unable to help, I will refrain from further comments.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>