[OS X TeX] duplicated ntheorem

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Oct 25 22:18:09 CEST 2005

On 25 Oct 2005, at 18:01, Josep M.Font wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this is not the appropriate place to report this. It is my
> first time reporting an installation problem or bug.
>
> Recently I did a fresh install of the whole system (on a new disk),
> using the 2004 distribution (I think: I was not asked during
> installation!)

You should be asked always.

> and by chance I have jsut discovered that I have TWO "ntheorem"
> packages: One in the textmf.gwtex tree (older, 2002 version of the
> package) and one in the texmf.tetex tree (newest, 2004 version).
> When typesetting, TeXShop finds the older version first, which
> prevents from using some features.

There has been a period that this was the case and I just found out
that still ntheorem ends up in gwTeX while it should not (only when
you install the 2003 stuff because at that time ntheorem was not part
of teTeX). I have fixed this, and an update is imminent.

Note: the 2004 release is considered not as good as the 2005 release.
2005 is the default.

> I don't known if it was my fault, neither how to repair it
> temporarily, nor whether I should do something else... May I safely
> delete the older version ? (I see I need to use terminal with
> sudo...). Should I upgrade to 2005 distribution ? Have others found
> the same ?

Upgrade to 2005.

> BTW, how can I check, now, which TeX distribution do I have
> installed ?

You can check which version of the i-Package you have installed by
looking at package properties. There are too many different versions
(as the system is kept up to date with developments) to have a
reliable way of testing for a version. But the readme of the i-
Package will tell you something (release notes) and the i-Package
itself also contains the ChangeLogs for teTeX and gwTeX so you can
inspect those (package contents tab). It is not fool proof, though.