[OS X TeX] TeXShop doesn't open dvi-files

Felix Grasser fgrasser at gmx.net
Fri Oct 21 13:35:59 CEST 2005

On 20.10.2005, at 20:47, Maarten Sneep wrote:

>> Now according to your reply, it
>> seems that we can change in the above preference option from
>> "Ghostscript" to "Apple Distiller"? Is this interpretation correct?
>> What's the benefits of doing this?
>>

> No additional package to install, the Apple Installer is actually
> the Adobe distiller,
> and _supposedly_ generates superior quality pdf. It is also a bit
> slower in my
> experience. It will also include fonts that are available to the
> GUI, meaning that
> it will find different fonts, and depending on how you generate a
> certain figure,
> ghostscript may be able to convert a figure that the Apple
> distiller can't and vice
> versa.

An additional difference seems to be the handling of transparency in
a given .eps file.

Both the Adobe Distiller and Apple's pstopdf converter do not
preserve transparent figure backgrounds - the resulting .pdf file is
rendered with a white background. The Ghostscript distiller preserves
transparency.

For handling tex-related material (i.e. printed on white paper) this
is hardly an issue. However, when converting figures to be included
on non-white backgrounds (posters, transparencies), it is a crucial
difference.

Felix