[OS X TeX] possible character-mapping bug in gwTeX

Christopher Brislawn brislawn at lanl.gov
Sat Oct 15 00:09:26 CEST 2005

I have encountered what appears to be a low-level bug involving font
rendering (possibly a character-mapping problem) in Gerben Wierda's
gwTeX distribution.  Although I am new to the Mac, I have been using
(La)TeX on Unix and Windows since the mid-80's and am an experienced
end-user, though no TeXpert.  I installed the gwTeX & support
i-packages and TeXShop 1.40 on my new G4 Powerbook (running Panther
10.3.9), as specified at

http://www.uoregon.edu/%7ekoch/texshop/installing.html

The problem in documents processed with this setup is that three
keyboard characters render to PDF as incorrect glyphs in roman and
other font styles, although they render correctly in math and
typewriter styles.  The pipe character, |, renders as a dash, while the
inequalities, < and >, render as inverted exclamation and inverted
question marks, respectively.  This is true whether I use pdflatex,
pdftex, or tex + dvips, and whether I use CM or Times fonts, as shown
in PDF and PS files (provided on request), which were produced using
the file BadChars.tex (below).  The problems also occur when (La)TeX is
invoked from the command line, so they don't appear to be due to
TeXShop.

This *could* be a font encoding problem, but I tried saving the source
in various encodings (MacOSRoman, ISO Latin 1, Latin 5, etc.) and the
problem is consistent with all encodings.  I tried retyping the bad
characters using both the built-in keyboard in the Powerbook and a
peripheral USB keyboard, with the same results each time.  Since these
problematic three are standard keyboard characters they should use the
same codes in all Western (Latin) encodings anyway, so it doesn't look
like a source encoding problem to me.  I tried using the Ghostscript
distiller, the Panther distiller, and Acrobat distiller, all with the
same result.  In spite of trying, I have been unable to make the
problem go away using different processing options.

My original installation of tex.ii2 was dated May 27, 2005, so I tried
updating my installation, with no effect on the bug.  My original
installation was an "expert" install, so in the interest of keeping
things simple I uninstalled tex.ii2, verified that all of the other
i-packages required by TeXShop were up-to-date, and did a "basic"
reinstall of tex.ii2 (2005 TeX package version, release dated
2005/10/11), but the bug is still there.

I have searched a number of TeX forums and FAQs, including
comp.text.tex, macosxtex-archives, gmane.comp.tex.macosx, Maarten
Sneep's Mac-Tex-FAQ, etc., but have seen no mention of this problem,
which is amazing (and disturbing) since it is making three standard
keyboard characters unusable in most font styles.  Is this problem real
(i.e., is it reproducible, or am I just going crazy?), is it specific
to the gwTeX distribution, and are there any effective (or planned)
solutions?  Forcing all uses of these characters into math mode would
be awkward and inconvenient, but I am unable to find any other
work-arounds.

Thanks for any assistance or insight you can offer!  Sincerely,

-Chris Brislawn

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% file BadChars.tex
%\documentclass[12pt]{article} % uncomment for pdflatex
%\usepackage{times} % uncomment for pdflatex
%\begin{document} % uncomment for pdflatex
%Times (pdflatex): % uncomment for pdflatex

CM (pdftex):
\medskip

Good characters:

math:  $,.?;:"`'[]!@()+-*/=$