[OS X TeX] right place for a .map line

Franck Pastor pastor at fusl.ac.be
Fri Oct 14 17:43:45 CEST 2005

Le 14-oct.-05 à 14:46, Gerben Wierda a écrit :

> On Oct 14, 2005, at 10:56, Franck Pastor wrote:

>>> Yes: it's the command line!
>>>
>>> Put the MAP file for example into /usr/local/teTeX/share/
>>> texmf.local/fonts/map/dvips/updmap (sudo necessary), run a 'sudo
>>> texhash' and finish minutes later with
>>>
>>>     sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --enable Map=tu.map
>>>
>>> This line will write an entry into /usr/local/teTeX/share/
>>> texmf.local/web2c/updmap.cfg and recreate all MAP files for
>>> dvips, dvipdfm, and pdftex in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/
>>> fonts/map/{dvips,dvipdfm,pdftex}/updmap.
>>>

>> The other possibility, if i have well learned Gerben's lessons, is
>> to place the Map file in
>>
>> ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map
>>
>> and to run from the command line
>>
>> updmap --enable Map tu.map
>>
>> (without sudo, etc.) It's a clean install, that also doesn't risk
>> to be hurt by a latter update and doesn't need any texhash or
>> mktexlsr, but it's for a single user's use. If there are other
>> users in your system, they are not concerned. It works well, I've
>> just checked it for another map file
>>

> But I'd rather not have people do this unless they are TeXperts.
> Because any run of the TeX i-Package later will ignore what is
> there and I can imagine the support questions that come out of
> that. The cat is out of the bag, though.

Good, I like cats ! :-)

Anyway, after the next update, I suppose I will have to do the
following :

— remove my ~/Library/texmf/web2c directory, in which my updmap.cfg
lies (and no other files except updmap.log);
— re-do an "updmap --enable Map foo.map" for each personal Map files
that are in ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/. That will recreate a brand-
new ~/Library/texmf/web2c directory with a new updmap.cfg inside, and
the adequate map files for pdftex, dvips, etc.

It sounds quite logical to me, and this way I wouldn't  risk to
bother the other users of my computer.

Thanks again,