[OS X TeX] emacs app

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at GMX.DE
Sun Oct 2 13:36:17 CEST 2005

"Jung-Tsung Shen" <jushen at gmail.com> writes:

> I never realized there were so many different flavors of TeX systems
> and editors which are *essentially* different in design philosophy as
> well as in practice. The following picture surely makes me want to try
> the combination (AUCTeX + Emacs):
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/img/preview-screenshot.png
>
> Juergen, can you recommend a version of Emacs that goes particularly
> well with AUCTeX? Thanks.

AUCTeX 11.81 was released the other week. According to the
announcement you should use Emacs 21:

| It is required that you use at least GNU Emacs 21 or XEmacs 21.4.
| XEmacs requires at least version 1.84 of the xemacs-base package
| (released on 01/27/2004) or a sumo tarball dated 02/02/2004 or newer
| for compiling AUCTeX: please use the XEmacs package system for
| upgrading if necessary.  Warning: release 21.4.16 of XEmacs is
| severely broken.  This leads to crashes and hangs; don't use it.

AUCTeX should not interfere with your TeX installation because it is
an Emacs package. It is an extension of Emacs, not an extension of
your TeX distribution.

AUCTeX is installed on all platforms using an install script
(configure, make, make install). You may adapt this script to your
Emacs installation by adding paths options when calling it if you
don't want to touch your Emacs. So you can switch between different
AUCTeX versions for testing if you like. You can switch it off again
by deleting the lines you added for installation in your .emacs .

AUCTeX is said to become the new regular TeX mode for Emacs. So,
finally it will be shipped with every Emacs.

BTW: I am still running AUCTeX 11.55 on NTEmacs 21.3, and it works
just fine. No experience with the new 11.81 so far.

Jürgen.