[OS X TeX] Large Figure in Document? (and slow response of TeXShop)

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 21 12:37:20 CET 2005

On Nov 21, 2005, at 2:23 AM, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> On 11/20/05, Bernhard Barkow <bb at creativeeyes.at> wrote:
>> On 21.11.2005, at 08:04, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Eventually, I had to create JPEG versions (about 500 kB each) of
>>> the figures (I'm using pdfTeX or XeTeX) for working on the paper
>>> including them, and for creating its online version. It is only for
>>> printing the very final printout, and for sending the files to the
>>> publisher, that the EPS figures were useful. And yes, publishers
>>> generally do want EPS, not PDF!
>>
>> What I forgot to mention in my last post: having Bitmaps as EPS files
>> is no problem, either uncompressed or with JPEG compression, binary
>> or ASCII, etc.
>> And more than 300dpi won't be resolved anyway by the human eye, so
>> there's no need vor vector graphics in these cases.
>>
>> Bernhard
>

> Thanks again everyone for many helpful information and suggestions.
> Bernhard and Martin, I will send the figure to both of you to test. If
> increasing ram should help, I might go for it.

I would suggest that these days upgrading to 1GB of RAM is about the
most cost-effective thing
you can do to make your computing life easier, not only for
Illustrator but for everything. If you
don't have this much, you should. I'm typing this on an ancient G3
upgraded to a G4, and the
RAM boost did almost as much as the CPU change.

David Derbes