[OS X TeX] Large Figure in Document? (and slow response of TeXShop)

Jung-Tsung Shen jushen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 09:23:02 CET 2005

On 11/20/05, Bernhard Barkow <bb at creativeeyes.at> wrote:
> On 21.11.2005, at 08:04, Bruno Voisin wrote:
> > [...]
> > Eventually, I had to create JPEG versions (about 500 kB each) of
> > the figures (I'm using pdfTeX or XeTeX) for working on the paper
> > including them, and for creating its online version. It is only for
> > printing the very final printout, and for sending the files to the
> > publisher, that the EPS figures were useful. And yes, publishers
> > generally do want EPS, not PDF!
>
> What I forgot to mention in my last post: having Bitmaps as EPS files
> is no problem, either uncompressed or with JPEG compression, binary
> or ASCII, etc.
> And more than 300dpi won't be resolved anyway by the human eye, so
> there's no need vor vector graphics in these cases.
>
> Bernhard

Thanks again everyone for many helpful information and suggestions.
Bernhard and Martin, I will send the figure to both of you to test. If
increasing ram should help, I might go for it.

Also, I adopted Bernhard's suggestion and used GraphicConverter (ah,
an old friend who I hadn't seen for ages) to save each figure using
JPEG compression and set as low resolution. The result is dramatic.
Preview/TeXShop could render the figure almost immediately. Indeed the
figures look a bit fuzzier, but it's totally worth it. I will try
medium resolution later to see how it works. Each figure is around 180
K after compression.

I second Bruno's comments on Illustrator. When I was trying to
add/move, say, an axis label, which has nothing to do with the data
points at all, Illustrator still took ages to re-draw the figures. I
made numerous mistakes due to this, not to say how much time I spent
on just adding/moving a small label.

JT