[OS X TeX] texmf.cnf

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Nov 7 20:04:40 CET 2005

Am 07.11.2005 um 19:09 schrieb Alain Matthes:

> TEXINPUTS.pdflatex =
> .;$HOME/BWork/Base;$TEXMF/{pdftex,tex}/{latex,generic,}//

This is again a new version of this setting, and probably with a new
mistake in it.

Alain, if you present us these erroneous things it's really hard to
decide whether TeX makes mistakes, or it's all 'errare humanum est.'

If you have problems to write correctly a path, just open a Terminal
and a Finder and just a file or a folder from Finder onto Terminal -- a
path name appears there! This is easily copied and pasted somewhere
else.

I tried to check such an unconventional setup for me too -- it does not
work either! LaTeX can't find STY files in my home directory outside
the Library/texmf tree. Could be LaTeX wants to find the files in a
$HOME/some/where/latex directory ... (although kpsewhich does not show
this)

To make it work in a TeX sense, do in Terminal this:

	cd
	mkdir -p Library/texmf/Work
	mv Work/Base Library/texmf/Work
	ln -s Library/texmf/Work/Base Work

The first 'cd' makes sure that you'll work from your home directory.
Next a new Work directory (folder) is created inside LaTeX's user
specific search path.
Then the Base folder is moved into the new Work folder.
Finally a symbolic link is created that will allow you or Finder to
find the place of the Base folder as before.

If Work already is a TeX working place, then try these shell commands
in Terminal:

	cd
	mkdir -p Library/texmf
	mv Work Library/texmf
	ln -s Library/texmf/Work

--
Greetings

   Pete

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue.